Unknown facts about Qutub Minar
Qutub Minar of Delhi
The building process of Qutub Minar took a long time (about 75 years) which was started by Qutub-ud-din Aibak in 1192 and finished by Iltutmish. The Minar was damaged and repaired many times in past.
This ancient Islamic Monument has about 379 stairs and is 237 feet tall. It has a diameter of 14.3 meters at bottom which reduces to 2.4 meters at the top. Red sandstone was used in construction and has Arabic inscriptions on it.
There are many stories about the naming of this tower. Some says that it was named after the first Turkic sultan Qutub-ud-din Aibak and some believes that it was named to honor Qutubuddin Bakhtiar Kaki, a saint.
Many other ancient structures are there surrounding the Qutub Minar- Quwwat-ul-Islam Mosque, Iron Pillar. These monuments are collectively called Qutub complex.
After an accident in 1981 (in which about 45 people were killed) climbing in tower was banned by government of India for security .
There are evidence that Qutubminar was built much before by Hindu emperors. Later Kuttubuddin has replaced the writing on stones.
Qutub Minar is a World Heritage Site and has survived the ravages of time impressively. The Minar of Delhi is surrounded by a lush green garden which adds beauty to its look . It is an ideal leisurely place for visitors. Qutab Minar is the most favourite destination of tourists. It is India’s most visited monument attracting around 3.9 million visitors every year.
Qutub Minar, Each of the 5 storeys and tower of Qutub Minar has unique and distinctive designs.
Due to lightning .it was damaged many times . The subsequent rulers repaired it. Thus it is standing mightily as it was before till date.
Qutab Minar is a great masterpiece of Mughal architecture and evidence of history . The base of the Qutub Minar measures 14.32 meters and the top of the structure measures 2.75 meters. The bird eye’s view of Delhi city from the top is amazing. The base of first storey has alternate angular and circular flutings, the second one is round. The third storey of the Qutub Minar has angular flutings. The balconies projecting out heighten the beauty of the Minar.
The tower is so high that around 379 steps are needed to be climbed to reach the top. Another taller tower adjacent to Qutub Minar is named Alai Minar which is somewhat tilted in one direction.
The verses from the holy Qur’an are carved on sandstone walls of Qutub Minar. This monument serves the purpose of calling people for prayer in the Quwwat-ul-Islam mosque. This is a tower of victory, a monument that signify the might of Islam, or a tower for keeping a check for defense.
There are claims and evidence that Qutubminar was built much before by Hindu emperors. Later Kuttubuddin has replaced the writing on stones. The stones has hindu God pictures on one side and arabic writing on other side.
Stones dislodged from the Minar have Hindu images on one side with Arabic lettering on the other. Those stones are now in Museum. These stone represent that invaders used to remove the stone- dressing of Hindu buildings, turn the stones inside out to hide the image facial and inscribe Arabic lettering on the new frontage.
Tourist attractions near Qutub Minar
Qutub Minar has some adjoining structures that lend shine of some of its fame. The Qutub complex houses the iron wonder nearby. The Iron Pillar is one of the metallurgical interests of the world. It is a thing to study as well as famous tourist destination. Traditionally people believe that if anyone standing in front of pillar with his back towards the column can encircle it with their arms, all his wishes will be fulfilled. Government has built a fence around it for safety.
An earthquake damaged top two floors of the minar during the rule of Firoz Shah; but was repaired by Firoz Shah himself. He built marble pavilions here. In the year 1505, earthquake again damaged it and was repaired by Sikandar Lodi. Once again the minar faced earthquake in the year 1794, then Major Smith refurbished the affected parts of the minar and replaced Firoz Shah’s pavilion with his own pavilion. This pavilion was again removed in the year 1848 by Lord Hardinge. Now it can be seen lying between the Dak Bungalow and the Minar in the garden.
Many natural conditions weathered the Minar but it is still standing with all the might owing to time to time renovations and reinstated and renovated by the respective rulers.