Thank you for visiting , your reading time is 210 seconds
Known Unknown things of Penelope Cruz
- Cruz was born from Encarna who was hairdresser and Eduardo who was car mechanic on April 28 , 1974
- She concentrated on classical ballet for nine years and and signed with the acting agent at an age of 15
- . She appeared in the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides with Johnny Depp in 2011.
- She played a role in the Spanish film, Open Your Eyes, and starred in its American equivalent, Vanilla Sky.
- She has a son named Leo and a daughter named Luna.
- As a child, Cruz amused her family by re-enacting television commercials.
- Though a natural actress, she took up dance for her choice of performance arts.
- Cruz explored her more sensual side in the French erotic TV series Serie Rose
- She studied classical ballet for nine years at Spain’s National Conservatory, and then moved to New York to dance under a series of prominent performers.
- Penelope Cruz made her film debut in 1992, in the dark film Jamón Jamón. The film’s director, who had been unable to cast Cruz as the lead in another film because of her young age, waited until she was old enough for his next film.
- When she was 15 years old, Cruz found her true vocation after beating out 300 other girls at a talent agency competition.
- she landed several roles as a dancer for music videos, as well as a gig hosting Spanish TV’s La Quinta Marcha.
- Her performance earned her nominations for both the Spanish Actors Union Newcomer Award and the Goya Award (Spain’s Academy Award) for best lead actress.
- . A year later, Cruz played Luz in The Age of Beauty (1992).
- The film won an Oscar (best foreign language film), virtually swept the Goya Awards and earned Cruz the Spanish Actors Union Award for best supporting performance.
- In 1997, Cruz took the role of Isabel Plaza Caballero in Carne Tremula—marking the first time that she worked with internationally renowned director Pedro Almodóvar, who, in turn, became a lifelong friend, as well as her vehicle for global fame. Cruz garnered further critical recognition for her performance in the film.
- Two years later, in 1999, Cruz landed a role in another film directed by Almodóvar, Todo Sobre Mi Madre, which went on to win Oscar and a BAFTA (best foreign language film) awards.
- At the age of 25, Cruz made the bold decision to move to Hollywood, California. Fully in command and on top of her career, she took on the role of a control freak and successful chef in Woman on Top (2000). That same year, she played the romantic lead in Billy Bob Thornton’s Western All the Pretty Horses. Both films garnered critical success.
- Cruz went on to further prove she could hold her own among heavy-hitting actors in 2001, when she starred opposite Johnny Depp in the film Blow.
- Cruz did volunteer work in Uganda for two months in 1998, and the following year, she donated her entire salary from “The Hi-Lo Country” to Mother Theresa’s children’s sanctuary in Calcutta.
- Her parents named her after the song “Penelope” by Joan Manuel Serrat.
- Cruz has been sawed in half by magicians twice in her life, including once by David Copperfield.
- Cruz became a vegetarian after shooting “All The Pretty Horses” in 2000.
- She also appeared in Captain Corelli’s Mandolin; her performance earned her a European Film Award nomination for best actress.
- Salma Hayek is one of Cruz’s best friends, and Cruz also enjoys visiting fellow Spaniard Antonio Banderas and his wife, Melanie Griffith, when she gets homesick and craves Spanish paella.
- . She received an array of award nominations for her portrayal of Ralmunda in the 2006 film, Volver.
- She won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for Vicky Cristina Barcelona.