F a c t s about Intelligence
- . There are believed to be various forms of intelligence. Fluid intelligence, for example, is a less concrete form of intelligence based less on memorization and more on abstract thinking, such as the ability to identify patterns, solve problems, and reason.
- Although many might argue that it’s who you know or your resources that make a difference, your level of intelligence is actually a more accurate predictor of your potential success than your socioeconomic status.
- . The IQ you were born with won’t necessarily be the same as that you die with. While genetics plays a large role in determining intelligence, factors like education, job type, and even leisure activities can impact how intelligence changes as you age.
- Members of the same family also tend to differ substantially in intelligence (by an average of about 12 IQ points) for both genetic and environmental reasons. Through the half-mixing of genes, intelligence begins to differ from parent to child and so on.
- Although the environment certainly has effects on IQ, heredity still plays a large role in determining overall IQ. Environmental factors might mean the loss or gain of a few points here or there, but it pales in comparison to what you’re born with.
- Researchers have found that popular “brain games” like ones offered in apps or workbooks delivered on their promise of better memory, attention, and multitasking skills. However, when it comes to overall intelligence, studies have shown the games failed to improve upon IQ levels.
- . Children who ate processed junk foods before the age of three were shown to have a lower IQ than their peers by the time they were eight years old. A diet rich in vitamins and minerals was shown to do the opposite. (Source: National Post)
- . Even though it seems that it would be “the more you know, the less you worry,” but that’s actually not true. Those with higher levels of intelligence tend to worry more than their less intelligent counterparts.
- Despite any beliefs regarding intellectual differences between men and women, as it turns out both men and women demonstrate little, if any, difference in terms of intellectual abilities.