- Trees can induce rainfall by cooling the land and transpiring water into the sky from their leaves. An acre of maple trees can put as much as 20,000 gallons of water into the air each day.
- There are Eucalyptus trees in Hawaii with natural rainbow-colored barks
- Trees properly placed around buildings can reduce air conditioning needs by 30%
- Forest growth in the US has exceeded harvest since the 1940’s, and today we have more trees than any time in the past 100 years.
- An average tree is made up of 99% dead cells, only around 1% of it is alive at any time, consisting of the leaves, root tips, and phloem (a thin layer of under bark that acts as a food delivery system).
- Columbia University has developed an artificial tree that passively soaks up carbon dioxide from the air using “leaves” that are 1,000 times more efficient than true leaves that use photosynthesis.
- There is an entire forest, over 80,000 years old, in Utah, made up of one single tree with one massive underground root system, called a Quaking Aspen It’s also the heaviest known organism, weighing at
- The Sandbox Tree is a tree that is not only covered in poisonous spikes, but also has fruit that can explode and propel seeds at 160 mph
- . In 1976, North Korean soldiers murdered two American officers, who were trying to trim a tree in the demilitarized zone between North Korea and South Korea. The U.S. responded by sending an 813- man task force, 27 helicopters and nuclear capable bombers to cut the tree down.
- : Since 1981, every Chinese citizen over 11 has been
required to plant three trees per year.
- In the late Devonian period (during the evolution of terrestrial plants), there was a ‘wood crisis’. Trees became abundant, took CO2 out of the air, and caused an ice age, simply because the fungi that eventually would decompose dead wood & return the CO2 to the air hadn’t evolved yet.
- 96 percent of ancient redwoods, some of the tallest and oldest trees on the planet, have been cut down
- You can grow a Bonsai Orange Tree that will actually fruit miniature oranges.
- Nazi’s planted trees in the shapes of swastikas during 1930s, the first of which was discovered in 1992 by aerial survey.
- There is a hotel in Sweden called tree hotel that has all its rooms up in the trees
- There are Eucalyptus trees in Hawaii with natural rainbow-colored barks.
- . Jadav Molai Payeng, a 47-year-old Indian, started planting trees when he was a 16, on a barren sandbar. Fast Forward to today, he now lives in his own 1360 acre jungle that is now inhabited with tigers, elephants and other wild animals
- The locations of the world’s tallest and oldest trees are kept top secret to avoid tourist crowds damaging them and their surroundings.
- Scientists have found that older bigger trees share nutrients with smaller trees, which later repay them back when they have developed.
- A tree in Athens, Georgia legally owns itself. Its owner, Professor Jackson, out of love for the great oak, during 1800s deeded to the tree ownership of itself and the land within eight feet of it on all sides
- On the Indonesian island Tana Toraja, if a baby dies before he starts teething, the family cuts a hole in a tree and places the dead child inside. The tree regrows around the baby and absorbs it.
- When Mr. T was serving in the Army, his platoon sergeant punished him by ordering him to chop down trees. However, he did not specify how many trees, so Mr. T single-handedly chopped down over seventy trees in about 4 hours, until a shocked major superseded the sergeant’s orders. Also, in 1987, he angered the residents of a Chicago suburb, Lake Forest, by cutting down more than a hundred oak trees on his estate. The incident is now referred to as The Lake Forest Chain Saw Massacre.
- A meth junkie crawled inside a 3,500 year old Florida tree called The Senator, the fifth oldest tree in the world and burnt it down.
- There are about 20,000 tree species in the world. The United States has one of the largest tree treasuries second only to India.