First Woman Governors of Indian States
- Gujarat – Sharda Mukherjee
- Himachal Pradesh – Sheila Kaul
- Kerala – Jyoti Venkatachalam
- Madhya Pradesh – Sarla Grewal
- Maharashtra – Vijayalakshmi Pandit
- Rajasthan – Pratibha Patil
- Tamil Nadu – Fathima Beevi
- Uttar Pradesh – Sarojini Naidu
- West Bengal – Padmaja Naidu
First Woman Chief Ministers of Indian States
- First Woman Chief Ministers of Indian States (In alphabetical order) :
- Assam – Syeda Anwara Taimur
- Bihar – Rabri Devi
- Delhi – Sushma Swaraj
- Gujarat – Anandiben Patel
- Goa, Daman & Diu – Shashikala Kakodkar
- Madhya Pradesh – Uma Bharti
- Odisha – Nandini Satpathy
- Punjab – Rajinder Kaur Bhattal
- Rajasthan – Vasundhara Raje
- Tamilnadu – Janaki Ramachandran
- Uttar Pradesh – Sucheta Kriplani
- West Bengal – Mamta Banerjee
- The First Indian Woman to become Miss World : Reita Faria crowned Miss World in 1966
- The first Indian woman to become Miss Universe : Sushmita Sen
- The first Indian woman to win the Miss Asia-Pacific title : Zeenat Aman
- The first Indian woman to win the Miss Earth title : Nicol Faria
- The First Indian Woman to win an Oscar :
Bhanu Athaiya (Best Costume Design award) at the 55th Annual Academy Awards for Lord Attenborough’s “Gandhi”.
- The First Indian Woman to win an Olympic medal :
Weightlifter Karnam Malleswari at the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games (Olympic bronze)
- The first Indian woman to receive a gallantry award in the Indian Army
Major Mitali Madhumita won Sena Medal for her acts of bravery in Afghanistan
- The First Indian Women to become Doctors :
Anandi Gopal Joshi and Kadambini Ganguly were the first two Indian and South Asian women to obtain a degree in Western medicine in 1886
- The First Indian Woman in Space :
Kalpana Chawla first flew on Space Shuttle Columbia in 1997 as a mission specialist and primary robotic arm operator.
- The First Indian Woman to scale Mt. Everest :
Bachendri Pal on the 23rd of May 1984.
- The First Indian Woman to become an IPS Officer :
Kiran Bedi joined the Indian Police Service (IPS) in 1972, becoming its first woman officer.
- The First Indian Woman to become the President :
Pratibha Devisingh Patil served as the 12th President of India from 2007 to 2012.
- The First Indian Woman to become President of the Indian National Congress :
Sarojini Naidu was the first Indian woman to become the president of the Indian National Congress and the first
woman to become governor of Uttar Pradesh.
- The First Indian Woman to become a Judge :
Justice M. Fathima Beevi was the first female judge to be appointed to the Supreme Court of India in 1989, and the
- first Muslim woman to be appointed to any higher judiciary.
She is the first woman judge of a Supreme Court of a nation in India and Asia.
- The First Indian Woman to become Prime Minister of India :
Indira Gandhi, who served as the India Prime Minister from 1966 to 1977 and then again from 1980 until her assassination in 1984, is the second-longest-serving Prime Minister of India and the only woman to hold the office.
She was also the first Indian woman to be awarded the Bharat Ratna.
- First women from India to win a Nobel prize :
Mother Teresa won Nobel Peace prize in 1979
- The First Indian Woman to become the Director General of Police :
Kanchan Chaudhry Bhattacharya was the first woman to become Director General of Police of a state.
She was the second woman IPS officer in the country after Kiran Bedi.
- The First Indian Woman pilot in the Indian Air Force :
Flight Lt. Harita Kaur Deol was the first woman pilot to fly solo in the Indian Air Force.
- The First Indian Woman to receive the Ashoka Chakra :
Neerja Bhanot was a flight attendant for Pan Am, based in Mumbai, India, who was murdered while saving
passengers from terrorists on board the hijacked Pan Am Flight 73 on 5 September 1986.
Posthumously, she became the youngest recipient of India’s highest civilian award for bravery, the Ashoka Chakra.
- The first lady Chief Minister of State :
Smt Sucheta Kripalani
- The first lady Central minister of the country :
Smt Rajkumari Amrit Kaur
- The first woman to become the Chief Election Commissioner :
Mrs Rama Devi
- The first woman to be appointed Chief Justice of a state High Court :
Justice Leila Seth
- The first woman to be appointed judge of the Supreme Court :
Justice M Fatima Beevi
- The first woman to be appointed the Speaker of Lok Sabha :
Mrs Meira Kumar
- The first woman president of UN General Assembly
Mrs Vijayalaxmi Pandit
- The first Indian woman to swim the English Channel :
- The first Indian woman to win an Asiad medal
- The first Indian woman to join the Territorial Army as a jawan
- The first Indian woman to be appointed as the Chief Information Commissioner
- The first Indian woman to be appointed as the Minister of External Affairs of India