Dehradun is cold climate tourist place in India which has some special importance . Followings are some important known unknown things
- Dehradun is the capital city of the Uttarakhand which is a part of Garhwal region,
- · Dehradun is 236 kilometres (147 mi) from Capital of India New Delhi
- Dehradun is located in Doon Valley on the foothills of the Himalayas lie comfortably within between two of India’s mightiest rivers — the Ganges on the east and the Yamuna on the west.
- The city is popular for its picturesque landscape and slightly milder climate which is a gateway to the surrounding region.
Dehradun is famous for Indian Military Academy, ITBP Academy &Indira Gandhi National Forest Academy (IGNFA).as a training centre
Dehradun is related with word ‘Dehra’ which is derived from the word “dera”, deriving from griha and meaning home. “Doon” means a valley that lies between the Himalayas and the “Shivaliks”.
- In ancient India during the Mahabharata epic era, Dronacharya the great teacher of Kauravas and Pandavas, lived here hence the name, “Dronanagari”
- Edicts of Ashoka have been found in the region along the banks of
river Yamuna in Kaalsi indicating the wealth and importance of the region in ancient India.
- In the neighbouring region of Haripur, ruins were discovered from the time of King Rasala which also reflect the region’s prosperity.
- This district contains Rajaji National Park which is home to several elephants, Benog Wildlife Sanctury at Mussoorie & Asan Conservation Reserve.
- The city is also known as the ‘Rainy City of India’ due to continuous and incessant rainfalls specially in monsoon.
- Dehradoon is famous for Basmati riceand Lychees.
- The world famous Doon School is situated in Dehradun
- · Sikhs ruled the city for about 24 years
- Dehradun was part of empire of Mauryan under the rule of great Ashoka .
- Dehradun find connection in Skand Puran
- Dehradun was visited by Lord Ram, accompanied by Lakshman on their way back from Sri Lanka. It is also home of the greatest guru of our nation, Guru Dronacharya.
- Dehradun is situated at an altitude lower than that of Bangalore.·
- Dehradun was the only place besides Bombay and Delhi where Cabaret shows were organized back in the 60s.
- Hundred of tourists visit the nearby Sahastradhara sulphur spring near Dehradun, for the waters can heal various skin ailments in humans
- The Buddha Temple is Asia’s largest reliquary. It took fifty artists to paint the wall of this temple in gold paint, in three years.
- To seek the blessings at the Daat Kali Mandir you will need to trek for 14 km.
- Dehradun produces the sweetest litchi in the country.